Thursday, April 28, 2011

Dear B-Mama, How Do you Do It?

I have a friend, B-Mama, who also blogs (much more religiously than I manage) despite having FOUR little ones to look after at home. So when I was faced with my first solo run of watching after both Tommy and Patrick- no grandparents, no Daddy, just me- I realized I was a little anxious and my thoughts went to B-Mama. How does she get anywhere even close on time, and was she ever nervous about her first outing alone with 2, or 3, or 4? Today has been fine despite no naps for mom (Tommy fell asleep finally after Patrick woke up), but it seems silly to be anxious. After all, I used to tote a gun and badge. I have executed search warrants, taken down criminals, and gone undercover, but this mom to multiple kids is a little intimidating. What to do when they wake up at the same time, want fed at the same time, won't nap at the same time? How do I get showered (because I didn't yesterday)? I know I'll eventually find my routine, but in the meantime, B-Mama has all my respect.

More importantly, for your viewing enjoyment, here are a few photos taken when Tommy refused to fall asleep this afternoon. He is growing, back up to 9lbs,12 oz after dropping to 9 even the day we left the hospital. Yesterday was also a big milestone for our guy: I had his tongue tie (a webbing that connected the underside of his tongue to the bottom of his mouth) clipped and we were able to resume breastfeeding! We still have a long way to go before we are out of the woods-my milk supply is low and has to be built back up, and Tommy needs to become more efficient at latching on. But progress there has been!
You'll notice that Tommy doesn't have Patrick's baby blues, so I am curious whether his hair will remain dark like mine, or lighten like Patrick's did a few months after birth (Patrick had the same dark locks originally)




P.S. This morning, I was delighted to discover that my ankles have decided to move back in. Still a little swollen (I tried immediately to squeeze into my blue suede heels just to see), but still hopeful they did not grow ANOTHER size with this pregnancy.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear Carol, I wish I could tell you its been easy and immediate, but it TOTALLY hasn't. Thankfully babies show up one at a time and by the time you've got it down with x, you get x +1 :). You are going to figure it out beautifully and in your own time. I can recall making a longer trip to Ohio with the two boys when T was just a month old. It was just for a few hours, but *boy* was I shellshocked and running around like crazy trying to prepare to have TWO babies in tow for the day. You will find shortcuts and then little Patrick will be older and better able to help out. You're doing fantastic. All in due time. xoxo

    ReplyDelete