| You can see the need to unite the floors with one common stain. The stairs were a whole different color also. |
| Front entry with sanding underway |
| Upstairs hall with sanding completely done. |
Now the big decision...which stain? We have very golden floors at our current house that don't look all that different from the sanded photo of the upstairs hall. I really wanted to go darker, although I know every dust bunny will really show. I love rich, deep woods. When the hardwood guys gave me the Minwax sample board, I was drawn to Dark Walnut. Dark walnut was lighter than Ebony, which I think is the blackish stain currently in the living room and library/den (see the first photo). Our floor guy, who has been doing this for a zillion years, said he thought it was going to be darker than what I wanted and recommended Provincial
This is the sampling I found on the living room floors- the far right shade is Provincial. The other two stains are way too light for consideration.
The only light I had was a dinky floor lamp and at almost 6pm, the room was already pretty dark. I think I am going to have to go back in the morning to see what it looks like under natural light., but my gut says trust my first instinct and ask to see the Dark Walnut stain which they did not do. I may still end up with Provincial in the long run. It is a beautiful shade that would match just about anything. I could also clean less. Hmmm, tempting. I almost wonder if the second stain color (on the left) in the first picture was a Provincial stain to start off with. I hate making such permanent decisions! We are going to be living with these floors for the rest of our time in this house. Any suggestions?
No comments:
Post a Comment