My friend Mandy (way back to the days of high school) was married last year and is now expecting her first, a little girl. At one point I was sure Mandy was going to leave D.C. and move back to Pittsburgh, but now that she has found love (and I can't blame her), I think it is safe to say Virginia will remain her home. I only wish I could see her more, especially as she falls into motherhood (I like to think of it as first you free-fall, then you grow in to the role).



Mandy and I had a conversation over the cookie trays and I told her to expect to have those moments where you are so frustrated with your baby that you end up either in tears or saying something inappropriate (or at the very least thinking it). I have told Tommy to shut-up. Isn't that horrible? Sorry Tommy, but at least twice since you were born I slipped and said it out of anger, exhaustion, and frustration. I felt guilty and like the worst mother immediately afterwards, but it happens. Don't beat yourself up about it. You kiss them a second later and then say a prayer of thanks when they finally do fall asleep.
I love the look of new moms-to-be and am a little envious that she is just beginning the journey. The wait for the first is such an adventure and by the second, so much of that exciting unknown is spoiled by all the experience gained. You somewhat know what to expect from your body, and the hospital, and your husband the second round. Of course I could not wait to meet Tommy and loved creating his special room, but first time parents have this anticipation and vision of their new life as a "family" that is like a drug. Baby is all you can talk about and think about. I practically blogged every movement Patrick made during the first 6 months. Now, we are slightly more lax, but no less proud of all of Tommy's milestones.
Enjoy the ride, Mandy and Scot. You only get to go down this particular road once, no matter how many kids may wind up in your future.
You are such a great mom Carol! I appreciate all of your advice - at the shower and through your blog!! Keep on talking mama! :) xoxo
ReplyDelete