There was an "incident" involving P at school on Monday. The mom instinct that told me that the high school's nursery program which P attended (note the past tense) was poorly organized turned out to be right. Knowing full well that P had a nut allergy, the worst of which is peanuts, the teacher had the entire class, including my sweet P, make PEANUT BUTTER BIRD FEEDERS.
Mistake #1.
P of course had an allergic reaction just from touching the peanut butter and they gave him the dose of benadryl he had in his backpack which seemed to do the trick in controlling the hives. Luckily, no epi pen needed. Yet to my knowledge, they never once had him in the nurses office (mistake #2), and they never called me. I found out when I went to pick him up (mistake #3).
How does this happen in today's day and age? I put in a call to the school principal yesterday and never received a call back from him. Nice. I called again a little while and got him at his desk. He didn't seem that concerned or apologetic. We are meeting this week. I am already looking into new schools. I hadn't planned on sending P to a real preschool program , but he loves school so much.
I am still stunned at the stupidity of a senior teacher. Her apology included, "I thought he could touch it, just not eat it". All of this despite my conversation with her a week and a half prior where she told me they would use crisco instead of peanut butter due to Patrick's allergies.
Luckily, P is just fine, also to the relief of his best friend, alligator.
Oh Carol, I'm so sorry. Heads would roll for that around here... and not just from me. I can name 20 parents who would have a fit. Our preschool is SUPER strict about anything nut-related coming even in the doors of the school! Craziness!! Tell them your husband is a lawyer!! ;)
ReplyDeleteHow disappointing... I'm glad P was fine, and that you've found an alternative.
ReplyDelete(Those pics are amazing! If ours came out as well, we wouldn't be shopping around for a photographer in the first place.)