Saturday, September 1, 2012

Catching Up on Some Reads

Now that I have read the most recent book by one of Tom's super-talented college friends, Bob Smiley, Don't Mess With Travis, I am feeling inspired to read more regularly.  To be honest, I didn't know how much I would enjoy it, because politics do to me what dirty diapers do to Tom: REPEL.  My dad is so confrontational about his political viewpoints, that he turned me completely off to wanting to talk about, or hear anything related to our nation's politics growing up.  I know that throwing my hands up in the air is bad, but the damage has been done.  With that in mind, I stayed up until 1:30 AM the night I started the book.  Tom kept waking up and telling me to turn off the lights.  I finished it the next day (I made both kids take naps so I could finish it).  You all should read it.  Really. Pretty funny.  I haven't had a lot of opportunities to hang out with the author, but he must be a riot.  His wife must be a saint :)

Then yesterday, my neighbor lent me Hunger Games. Yes, I think I was the last person in our galaxy to still not have read the book or seen the movie.  I started it last night at 10:00 pm and finished at 2:35 am.   I have a problem, I know, and it doesn't just apply to books.  I am inpatient.  When I want to do something, I want to do it right away.  I can't read a great book over the course of a week.  The suspense would kill me.  So now I am tired from all my late night reading.  But of course, instead of sleeping, I am blogging. 

Sigh.

Please feel free to send me some recommendations on dull reads. 

1 comment:

  1. If you don't want to be up all night, captivated, stay far away from Gillian Flynn's "Gone Girl" or Pamela Druckerman's "Bringing Up Bebe".

    ReplyDelete