This year, in trying to keep with our Richard Scarry (Cars and Trucks and Things that Go is Patrick's Favorite book, followed closely by Busy Town) theme, I set out to create this guy:
There were no google images for "Hot Dog Car Cake", so I winged it by modifying the hot dog cake recipe from the Disney Family Fun website.
I started the cake at 11pm on Friday night. P's party was at 1 on Saturday. I re-used the frozen Sara Lee sponge cake that I used for the bulldozer cake. Big time saver and it cuts so well half-thawed.
Insert the Twinkie hot dog body, 4 chocolate mini donuts (wheels), and 4 pretzel rod axles. I cut out just a small indentation on the underside of the cake where each of the axles would be positioned.
A little brown food dye mixed with red food dye created the odd hot-dog flesh icing color. In keeping with hot dog car realism, I had actual hot dogs nearby as my guide for color.
After frosting the hot dog, I squeezed a little yellow cake icing on top.
...and the finishing touch: a cut-out printed Scarry character glued to a craft stick . Tom had actually suggested the pipe cleaner to simulate the scarf flying in the book and I dismissed it as a dumb idea. But when I tried it, it was exactly what the cake needed (you were right, honey).
| Best Hot Dog Car Cake EVER (at least it is the only one in existence that I know of). |
You are the coolest! Awesome job!
ReplyDeleteSeriously, you are my hero! How do you come up with (and execute) such cute ideas?!
ReplyDelete