You see, I had an epiphany today regarding the whole potty training ordeal. It is as simple as this: I have been encouraging, bribing, and sweet talking Patrick into ditching the diapers and using the potty, to no avail. But when he turned a year old and it was time to get rid of the pacifier, I didn't consult him. I didn't encourage him to give it to me, I didn't bribe it away from him. I just took it, because that is when my doctor said to take it. So why was I not doing the same with diapers?
I didn't consult him. Today, I took off his diaper and didn't put a new one on. I put on big boy undies instead. 30 minutes later he had an accident and I didn't scold, or yell. I just put on a new pair and told him you can't pee in underwear. 30 minutes later he told me he had to use the potty, and we did. An hour later, he used the potty again. Even if today is a fluke, it is a step in the right direction. He is on his potty now watching Caillou.
So proud of you, P.
#2 will be another story. I will be shocked if he does that in the toilet so easily.
(9PM update. Be careful what one wishes for. FIVE pees in the potty in a 2 hour period. I guess we buckle our seatbelts tomorrow and get this ride started. I have a clear calendar tomorrow that is now filled with tinkling.)
Carol, keep up the good work! That's exactly what we did...as you know it was quite easy with Hudson but we used underwear from day one and never looked back! Way to go, Patrick!! :)
ReplyDelete