Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Babies

A few weeks ago a neighbor/friend was telling me about Babies, a short movie/documentary that came out a few years ago. Remember seeing trailers for it ? (http://focusfeatures.com/babies). I thought it looked interesting, so I headed over to our library and rented it.

Too good for words. Four babies from four very different regions around the globe are followed from birth to their first birthday. When you look at the stark contrast between the American baby and the African baby, the STUFF that fills our homes seems ridiculous.

Like all this stuff:
and this stuff.
I LOVE my house. It is big, beautiful, and warm, and we are surrounded by friends.
But I complain about needing more space (for all our stuff),
wanting newer furniture,
coveting everything in the Pottery Barn store (have you seen the new vintage Hawaiian throw pillows or the seashell duvet cover?).
Several people have asked me about PINTEREST, and you'll notice I haven't blogged about it.
You see, I am afraid to join. I am fighting the urge and don't know how much longer I can hold out.
Because I know I will love it, become addicted to surfing it, and want everything.
I don't want to want more.
I really don't.
I should be more than satisfied with my life. God has provided for my family, and then some.
But I am not always content. I wish I could sew, embroider, smock, design, do carpentry, knit, needlepoint, draw, paint... Then I could have all those fantastic DIY projects I have found online.
Thank goodness I have a husband who loves me despite my inability to make my kids' Halloween costumes or needlepoint our Christmas stockings.
So what I am really trying to say is,
Rent the movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment