Yep, we have the DIY bug again. We weren't planning on sprucing up the basement, but necessity has driven us to home improvement. In T minus 14 days, our treadmill (the treadmill of all treadmills) will be delivered and ready for set-up. The problem is we have no place to put it upstairs and our basement looked like this:
Note the hanging fluorescent light, the original 70's ceiling tiles, the outdated window, the lack of carpet, and all of our crap.

So last week I started organizing, clearing out, donating, and moved a bunch of stuff into the storage room, which is now adequately packed. I am certain the basement hasn't had a good cleaning since the early 80's.
Saturday, Tom stripped off the old ceiling tiles. I will spare you for the most part details about the nastiness that has been sitting for 40 years on the underside of those tiles, but interestingly enough we did find an old wallet up there that used to belong to the home's original owner? It had a very old library card, old pictures, and some notes, so we are going to do our best to find out if the owner of the wallet is still alive so we can return it.
Tom pulled up the rest of the old carpeting while I scraped peeling paint and pulled nails and screws out of the cement block walls. Last week a new glass block window was installed.

Sunday Tom spent the day framing out some of the low-lying heat ducts and at 9:00pm, I am about to begin a massive vacuum and maybe start painting. We'll see. I am anxious to get rid of the dirty yellow paint currently on the walls. Tomorrow the electrician is supposed to install some pot lights.
I am impressed you guys can do this yourselves! We would have had to spend a fortune having someone do it!
ReplyDelete