Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Kid Tested

Now that most of the Christmas presents have been kid tested, here are my mom reviews.


Candy Land: A huge hit with P, but why did they have to mess with the original and change the names of some of the candy spaces?
Baba gave P his LeapPad explorer. Overall I like it, but it is a little slow at times and the apps are too expensive. The interactive books, like this one with Thomas the train, are $20 to download. For One. The other educational videos and games are cheaper at $7.50 to $10, but still, we only have about 5 downloads on it right now and P will be playing those for a long time.



Playmobil Recycling Truck: Santa brought this and I love the details-it comes with two garbage men and three garbage cans. The only worry is that the garbage men have little removable hats and hair that would easily go right in Tommy's mouth. I put away the hats, but have kept the hair on for the time being. I am becoming a big fan of Playmobil.



I had originally seen the Bruder line of toy trucks online, but wasn't willing to pay $60 for one. Just before Thanksgiving, I spotted this one at TJ Maxx for $25! It didn't come with any garbage men, but did have some garbage cans and the whole back tilts like a real garbage truck. This was P's favorite present along with his recycling truck.


Had to share this find: If you have any Thomas the Train fans in your house, Happyhentoys.com has the best selection of Thomas items (we got all wooden for cheaper than anywhere else on the web). The Tidmouth Shed we ordered was $25 cheaper than even Wal-Mart or Amazon. I also ordered 5 or so new trains, and they have specials - I was able to pick up a new Toby the Train without box for $5. They have rare and retired cars as well. There are lots of other toys besides Thomas, and if Santa hadn't brought P's Playmobil truck, I could have bought it from here for 30% off.



This car simulator was a gift from the boys' great aunt. The BAO V8 driver is a simulator, but disappointingly, the pedals and gear shift don't connect to anything and are for decoration only, although they do move. Still, both kids seem to really like it and a car on the screen is guided along a simple road by the steering wheel. I will be curious if they grow bored with it or keep up this interest.


This present was unplanned- one of our new neighbors received a new piano and was offering this one up for grabs. In a few years we want P to start lessons, so my mom helped out with delivery costs (I had no idea a piano was so expensive to move) and it arrived shortly after Christmas. It is quite out of tune, but the kids are having fun with it already.

No comments:

Post a Comment