Tuesday, August 6, 2013

A Love Affair

Week one is under our belt and this household is holding strong.  We have had so much help, and Kaya is a mellow babe, at least for the time being.  We have been busy showering her with cuddles and kisses.

Patrick and Tommy visiting Kaya in the hospital on Day 3


Love this picture - P was leaning in to whisper to Kaya , " I love you sister".


Tommy continuing to surprise by how much he wants to hold his new sister
We were discharged from the hospital Thursday afternoon, but had to head straight to Children's Hospital to have Kaya's tongue tie clipped (a webbing that interferes with her ability to latch on properly while breastfeeding).  Tommy had one as well, and it turns out they are hereditary.  The procedure only took about 10 seconds, and while it has helped, Kaya is still not latching properly.  As a result, she was down over a pound from her birth weight.  While in the hospital, she went from 9.5 to 8.6 to 8.4.  We headed to the pediatrician on Friday and she had dropped to 8.3.  We started supplementing with formula and a return visit to the pediatrician yesterday revealed our first gain to 8.5.  I have already scheduled an appointment at an amazing breastfeeding center in Pittsburgh for Friday, but in the meantime it has been all bottles of whatever I can pump, supplemented with  formula.  I am discouraged that she will never want to latch after being on a bottle for so long, but I am not giving up. 

Uncle M and Aunt L visiting in the hospital

Heading home!

The cutest welcoming committee.


My mom, Jeanne, holding Kaya on her first day home.
 
Because Kaya lost so much of her birth weight, she has transformed into sleeping beauty and sleeps much more than either of my boys did at this stage.  I actually have to set my alarm and wake her up at night for feedings.  Really. The pediatrician told us this would likely last until she reached her birth weight.  The good news is she took a bottle/formula instantly like she was an old pro.  No pacifiers yet as I don't want any additional confusion as we try to get back to breast feeding, but she rarely cries, so it hasn't been an issue. 

My own recovery is speeding along.  I can already get up and down from the couch/chair by myself with barely any pain, and as of yesterday could get out of bed from a sleeping position on my own.  This is great news because it means I don't have to wake Tom to have him help me out for feedings.  Yesterday I had my staples removed (they kept them in a little longer than usual because it was my third incision).  My feet, which had barely shown any swelling throughout the pregnancy, ballooned up after the surgery.  This is the first morning they seem to be shrinking.  Today Tom heads back to work for the first time since Kaya arrived.  A little tired, but I am ready for today! 

2 comments:

  1. I can't get enough pictures! Love them all. And I'm glad to see the blanket is being put to good use already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job, mama! You all sound wonderful. I'm so glad she's been so mellow and good to you. The third baby tends to roll with it--they get instructions in the womb because mom can only handle so much. Keep up the great work. Prayers. xox

    ReplyDelete