If you have followed my blog, you know I am in love with the original chandelier that hangs in our entryway. It looks like the formal living room had something at some point, but it must have been removed because there is a circular white cover in the middle of the ceiling now.
I wanted a chandelier similar to the one in the entry for the living room, but that was easier said than done. I couldn't find anything close in style, except some online that were obscenely expensive...until I I found this gem on craigslist:
Tom is in shock that I paid someone $75 for it. He hates it. I knew from the pictures beforehand that it came with 30 years of dust, but I have already started working on it with my bottle of Brasso (it is solid brass, although you can't tell from all the grime and tarnish). On the underside of the ceiling cap I uncovered "Made in Spain", but no year. We'll see how she cleans up.
Oh, did I mention that I found a whole bag of old papers in the basement? There are original pictures of the house when it was built, all the architect plans for each of the home's additions, and an awesome old map of the area from 1935 when the plots of land were still labeled by the farm name. I want to frame some of it, but I haven't even had time to sit down and go through it. That's a another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment