Monday, October 8, 2012

A Split Second

Today, after dropping P off at school (yes, his fantastic new school!), I sat at the light at the quiet intersection by P's school.  Most of the time there is no one coming from the opposite direction (which is an even less traveled road), but on this morning a single station wagon also waited on the opposite side of the street.  I knew I had to wait for this car to pass through the intersection because I was turning left and needed to yield. 

Light turns green.
The station wagon across the intersection pauses for a few seconds before I see it begin to move forward.
One second later,  a gray, speeding pick-up truck blows through his red light and misses slamming into her car by about a foot.
He never even braked.

Had she hit her gas the second the light had turned green and not paused, she would have been one foot further into the intersection and taken the full impact of the speeding truck on the driver's side. 

Had the very nice lady in the nice station wagon not been there at all this morning, I know that Tommy and I would have been smack in the middle of the intersection when the truck barrelled through.

Thank you, God.

No comments:

Post a Comment