The directions said 6-8 hours for assembly. It was the day before Patrick's Birthday party and one week before his actual 2nd birthday. I paced, but there was little I could do at this point. Tom had decided last minute to build Patrick's swing set (our birthday present to the little guy) instead of buying the cheap metal version I found at Wal-mart. He ordered a kit online that consisted of a million pieces. The problem - six to eight hours did not apply to my husband. Not because he isn't handy or competent, but the opposite. He is such a perfectionist that he checks everything twice and sometimes comes up with his own ideas to improve on a flawed plan. So when the box was opened and the followed spread out on my garage floor (my car displaced outside until this project was done), I knew Patrick would not be swinging anytime soon. Sorry honey, I just know you too well.

The project kicked off with enthusiasm until about 1 hour into the project when Tom had to make his first return trip to Lowes after buying the lumber. Then a hanger bolt broke. Called the company and requested a new one be shipped. Received said bolt and nut 4 days later.
Weekend two: Install new bolt and nut. Call company again when another hanger bolt snaps. Continue construction minus one hanger bolt. Comfort wife who should be drinking heavily as day 3 comes to a close with no swing set. Day4 : The swing set takes form and Uncle Mike is called in to help finish up.
Getting there...
Done! Patrick has been swinging every day and as soon as Tommy gets a little older, he can join his brother. Happy Birthday, Patrick. Tom did a great job as always, but next year, we'll be getting Patrick some legos.

The project kicked off with enthusiasm until about 1 hour into the project when Tom had to make his first return trip to Lowes after buying the lumber. Then a hanger bolt broke. Called the company and requested a new one be shipped. Received said bolt and nut 4 days later.
Great work, Tom! Can you come fix up our set? With two perfectionists in the household (I know you, Carol), your place must be pristine! I wish, somedays. :)
ReplyDelete