Thursday, March 3, 2011

With a Little Help From Your Friends (and Husband)

So close to finishing up the nursery! The crib will be assembled this weekend, and that leaves just artwork/decorations. One project completed that I I've had my heart set on were narrow book ledges to fill this dead space: there is a mini hallway actually in the nursery.

My inspiration came from these cute ledges on Land Of Nod's website. Two problems-they are only about 20" long and I wanted 3, 4-foot ledges, and I couldn't tell from the online photo whether the light wood color offered would match the room which is more of a pecan/orange.

So I decided Tom could make them. Then I decided I could make them-right? So off to Home Depot where I purchased red oak, pre-cut 4' boards and stain. Now what? Cue the ever helpful DIY neighbors, Debby and Rich who just happen to have an entire woodworking shop in their garage. I mean, they have every wood tool imaginable and basically built these guys for me (I helped glue on the front of the ledge). They even copied the decorative work at the top. I stained them in my garage wearing my pink Darth Vader respirator mask and voila-here they are:



And now enters my handy husband who isn't just a piece of eye candy-he stayed up past 11pm last night installing them so I could show off the progress to my playgroup who were congregating here this afternoon (I love you for meeting my artificial deadline). Needless to say, they are exactly what I was hoping for...



(I would like to clarify that all of the ledges are perfectly, equally spaced (which you would not doubt if you know Tom well), but my camera angle has somehow made the top ledge look like it was spaced too high. )


3 comments:

  1. Oh, Carol! they are exquisite! Come on down and make some for MG's nursery!! We'd be in heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found this link today-how awesome is this nursery?
    http://www.tangledandtrue.com/2011/01/nursery-lust.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy cow -- these look awesome! You just inspired me. Maybe I don't need a bookshelf; maybe I can do something like this instead?

    ReplyDelete