Progress has been slow in Patrick's occupational therapy for his eating issues. This past session (#2), his therapist observed him eat a typical lunch and determined (drum roll)...that he is not swallowing his food properly. Tell me something I don't know.
She is at a loss as to why. It doesn't appear to be behavioral-he wants to eat and puts the food in his mouth willingly. It doesn't appear to be a physical impediment because he can and does eat a whole cookie regularly. We believe there are some sensory issues since I had the same problems swallowing meat, but with Patrick it goes far beyond just meats.
She has recommended he be seen by an eating panel, so I guess we go from there. Meanwhile, please say prayers of patience for Tom and I-every meal is a battle these days. I realize there are parents with kids who have much more serious eating problems, but I worry about my little guy.
Thinking of you all. My PU roommate, Red, from Building Cathedrals has a son with a sensory disorder that greatly affected his eating. They also dealt with speech issues, etc. I'm happy to say, though, they've made a lot of strides and over two years later he's developing very normally. Hope you all reach a diagnosis and get a plan of action soon.
ReplyDelete