Sunday, May 23, 2010

Gee, Bert

I was determined to make Patrick's first birthday cake one to remember. After deciding on an Ernie theme (Patrick has a little Ernie doll that he knows by name), I searched online pictures of Ernie cakes only to discover that Elmo really has the cake monopoly. So Patrick's doll became my inspiration. Everything on Ernie was edible-I used black licorice for his hair, a ginormous jawbreaker covered in colored fondant for his nose, and rolled fondant for the eyes completed by a whopper cut in half for each of his pupils. Of course, Ernie had to be 3 dimensional, so I used two rectangular cake pans of white cake to create the football shaped head and then sculpted the top of his mouth that sat up higher than the rest of the cake. Colored orange frosting completed everything. Patrick seemed to approve and I am proud of my first character cake! Happy early birthday little guy!











































2 comments:

  1. I am so jealous...I have no creativy in my body whatsoever! I always have to pay people to make our special cakes!!!

    Sara G

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, you are AMAZING! You need to go into business... What a lucky little guy that P is!

    ReplyDelete