Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Kaya's First Birthday Cake

To keep with my Alice in Wonderland theme, I decided to do a down-the-rabbit-hole smash cake and coordinating fondant cupcakes.  I found this website, and followed her tutorial for the smash cake, then tried my best to copy the cupcakes: 
http://www.notquitenigella.com/2010/05/05/alice-in-wonderland-cupcakes-10-tips-for-cupcake-decorating-from-planet-cake/

My fondant lego cake was a disaster, so I was braced for another fondant failure. But guess what? I rocked these puppies. They took approximately six hours, but it was (mostly) fun.  


I used the prepared icing you buy at the grocery store instead of buttercream, and I don't think it affected the final product all that much. Of course I used the crappy Wilton fondant from Michael's that doesn't taste that good, because it was the cheapest stuff and I was pretty sure it wouldn't look nice anyways. The inside was Ducan Hines Pink Velvet cake mix.  Yeah, not kidding you. It was amazing. 


I had to insert toothpicks inside Alice's fondant legs, but otherwise just scaled up the cupcake topper version in the tutorial for the cake. 




I loved this theme, and plan on repeating it for a sixth or 7th birthday.  

No comments:

Post a Comment