Monday, January 20, 2014

Hitting the Slopes

I had wanted Patrick to start skiing last year, but my timid 3 1/2 year wanted to try nothing of the sort.  Tom grew up skiing, but I never tried until high school, with disastrous results.  I can't believe I didn't injure myself or anyone else on the slopes.  My experience made me certain that my kids would learn on the earlier side, when it would be easier to pick up the technique.  This year we were ready though, and he seemed excited to try, although a bit concerned at the same time.  Day one was frigid and windy, and after only one hour, my little skier wanted to return. 


Heading out for his very first time on the bunny slope.
At the end of day- they rode the ski lift back up to the condo.

 As soon as P was in the door, Tommy was begging to try too, so Tom threw P's skis and boots on him and took him behind the condo for a mini lesson.  Here they are about to head up the ski trail...
 Tommy didn't make it very far up the trail in the ski boots, so Tom ended up having to carry Tommy and their skis up each time.  Better him than me.

 Tom putting on Tommy's skis-
 and away they went! Tommy liked it, and I suspect we will start him skiing next winter at 3 1/2.  That means Tom will have two beginners to contend with next year. 
Day two proved to be warmer, and the sun peeked out.  Patrick was out almost two hours.  Tom said he figured out how to turn and only fell once (the ski leash helps with turning and braking, but it doesn't keep them from falling).  Patrick wanted to go on the bunny slope over and over again.  Success! He had a blast, although Tom was exhausted at the end.
Unfortunately, because it was too cold to take Kaya out, I have no photos or video of P on the bunny slope, only of him returning to the condo on the trail from the lift.




Getting ready to head down to the lodge for dinner  last night.  Kaya's sweater was a hand-me-down from her godfather's girls. I accidently left my white balance setting on sun, so my lighting was all out of whack.  Oops.


Just this week Kaya started practicing her crawling stance.  Kaya's Baba started walking at 8 months, so we will just have to wait and see if this little one is anxious to keep up with her brothers.

No comments:

Post a Comment