Saturday, October 18, 2014

Halloween prep

The Pohl kids are getting excited for Halloween, and our costumes have been decided.  Tommy will be Olaf, Kaya will be Anna from Frozen, and Patrick- Emmet from the Lego Movie.  All great picks, but with one glitch.  You cannot buy an Emmet costume.  Despite the huge popularity of the movie, Lego has decided to not cash in on the windfall that they could collect if they would have manufactured an Emmet costume.  So begins another project.  I found great tutorials on the complicated process of making a Lego man head.  We opted to buy a large Lego Storage bin instead and cut out a large opening for the face so P will be comfortable wearing it for a whole night of trick-or-treat.

$31 on Amazon

We are going to try for some Emmet hair using foam insulation spray, but P also is set on having Emmet's red construction helmet.  After Tom and I had an in-depth discussion on what we could use to create the helmet., I found this on Amazon for $12. We decided it was worth the cost, so it is on the way to our house-
We didn't want to make Lego Man legs for P,  so I found these orange, fleece lined pants on sale at Gymboree:

Hoping they turn out to be the right color orange, but they have not arrived yet.

That leaves the cardboard body which we will make and then paint to look like Emmet's shirt, the Lego man hands, as well as the hair we will construct.  I want the hair/helmet to be removable from the Lego head like real Legos so that we can reuse the Lego head for future Halloweens. This costume is not going to be cheap, so the more we can reuse, the better. 






No comments:

Post a Comment