Saturday, March 8, 2014

Art Room Renovation - Before

This un-inspiring room has been home to all of our art supplies, Playdoh, and all things messy. I decided to transform it into a creative space where the kids could glitter to their hearts content.  This is a work-in-progress, so I don't know when the "after" picture will be posted.


My first project was to add a few chalkboard areas on the walls just to the right of the above doorway. I used this:


Originally I had purchased the magnetic primer, but I found out the online reviews were horrible and decided to not use the product. I also decided to complete one chalkboard first and be sure it worked well before I applied the second.  This would not be such a big deal except each coat needs 24 hours to dry before recounting, so I used more paint supplies than if I had done each coat on both walls at the same time. I also have no patience.  I used a six inch foam roller designed for painting cabinet doors based on some online suggestions. I also lightly sanded the wall first based on the reviews I read. I did three coats, and plan on repainting a new top coat every 6 months.
 

 After the third coat had cured for 24 hours, we had to prime the board by covering the entire thing with a coat of chalk.  Patrick was my helper.  I let the chalk sit on the board for three hours then wiped it down and, voila - it was ready for use.

 Of course the first drawing was a fire truck.
This pouf I found at Target on clearance for $15.

No comments:

Post a Comment